Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Journal 2

Before reading this piece I always just did the simple revising of my peers work, whether it is telling them to add a coma, correct their spelling or more content issued suggestions.  I would simply read through their writing (very carefully and attentively) and point out by writing short, mostly one or two word, suggestions.  I would usually use a red pen just as a teacher would and i would try to sound as professional  as possible even if i couldn't really explain what i meant i would try my best. After reading Straub's essay i now have a lot of helpful tips that will hopefully help me in the future.  I now know not to try to sound like a teacher (note to self: change pen color), not to sound like an editor or a know it all but rather to sound like a friend just trying to help another friend out.  At the same time though i know not to try to just write as little as possible and try to get it over with by generalizing things but instead elaborate and give reasons why i think what i think and details on how they can change it around.  I hope to use all these new tools in my writing workshop to try to proofread and help out a friend as best i can.

No comments:

Post a Comment