Monday, July 6, 2009

Journal 3

Read and respond to Hemingway's "Hills Like White Elephants." Who are the characters and what are they doing? What is the setting or atmosphere like? What clues does the dialogue reveal about what's going on?

After reading "Hills Like White Elephants" I found myself more than confused. I tried really hard to get into it but it just didn't work. I would love to know what is going on. I know that there are 2 main characters, an American man, and a girl. They were waiting at a train station and it was a very hot day. The girl liked to look at the hills and the 2 of them loved to drink it seemed. In my opinion they seem to be in love. The girl seems like she's will to do anything for this man and she says that she doesn't care about herself. On the contrary, the man seems to love this woman and doesn't want to force her to do anything she doesn't want to do. After he keeps saying things like that it makes me believe they're talking about having sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment