Sunday, July 5, 2009

Journal 3

I actually had to go back and read "Hills Like White Elephants" twice. What I did manage to catch the first time through was that this short story was about an American and his lover (Jig? not sure what country of origin she's from with that name) traveling through Spain. Although the scenery isn't exactly inviting (Hemingway describes it as being hot and bland), the girl seems fascinated by the "white hills" in the distance. Perhaps it's an allusion to her interest in what's yet to come? Anywho, while waiting for a train, the two have a few drinks and get into a bit of a verbal tiff. I initially thought the man was trying to convince the girl (I say girl because she sounded young to me) that they were ready to make love. To help his cause, he kept ordering drinks. However, reading it through again had me realizing that this was not the case. This would not be their first time having intercourse. "There were labels on them [the bags] from all the hotels where they had spent nights," (Hemingway) gives this away. My next thought was that this was about a medical procedure, since he mentioned how many have had it safely done. I assumed he was talking of an abortion and that Jig, in the end, gave in to the idea. I don't really think this man loves Jig as much as he says he does either. I'm still not sure either what White Elephants have to do with anything, so definitely clue me in on that one tomorrow. Interesting read though! Hope everyone had a Happy 4th~!

No comments:

Post a Comment