Sunday, July 5, 2009

Journal 3

In the short story "Hills Like White Elephants" there are two main characters, a man and a woman. From the story I can easily see that they are together and arguing over something that could be a big deal. Even though they seem to be in a relationship, the depth of the dialogue seems to be very shallow. The conversation was awkward in my opinion and they never really touch on the subject of the conversation. The atmosphere was filled with almost a playful tension, where the girl didn't want to talk about whatever the man wanted to talk about. She kept changing the subject to mentioning the white hills that looked like elephants, and asking him not to speak. The clues in the dialogue that I thought I caught on to were the word "operation" and the sentence "I'll go with you and I'll stay with you all the time. They just let the air in and then it's all perfectly natural." to me it sounds like the man is trying to persuade the girl to have an abortion. First he gets a little alcohol into her then it seems like he's manipulating her opinion into his. I'm not quite sure though, it could mean a lot of different things. The story is really vague.

No comments:

Post a Comment